As you are viewing this article, one of your hands is probably on the mouse and in that case, you will note that your hands are taking the support of your wrist. This simple notion just goes on to show how important your wrists are. Wrist braces are accessories worn around injured, painful and/or arthritic wrists that help in stabilizing the wrist, reducing pain and contribute towards healing and rehabilitation. They are easy to put on and are pretty easy in operation. You simply just wrap it around your wrist tightly and let the wrist brace do its job. The wrist brace offers relieving compression and contains the covered area in a stable position. It also helps you in going about with your daily activities, though with some constraints.
It is important to note that a wrist brace is not a simple bandage that you wrap around your hands. A wrist brace is equipped with certain technical features that promote healing and pain relief. So you can imagine that a lot of thought, innovation and nuances go into the manufacture and design of a wrist brace.
As such, there are scores of wrist braces and supports available out there and we had a tough time zeroing onto our best picks. Nonetheless, we have extensively reviewed each of the ‘happening’ wrist braces and have come up with our top 10 picks (in no particular order). So use the supports of your wrists to scroll down and check out the best wrist braces and supports that you can wear to successfully tackle arthritic joints.
10 Best Wrist Braces and Hand Supports for Arthritic Joints
We have enlisted the best wrist braces and hand supports from scores of available ones. Each of them boast of intricate designs and features which we have covered in detail. Let’s get on with these products and decide upon the best!
Mueller Green Fitted Wrist Brace:
The Mueller wrist brace is arguably the best wrist brace in an overall sense. This product is highly rated in all platforms and people have nothing less than the best to say about this amazing wrist brace. This very affordable wrist brace s very easy to put on and you can also adjust the straps for just the right amount of compression. The compression is so good that people who are suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome also claim that the Mueller wrist brace is the best that they have ever come across. That alone speaks volumes about the effectiveness of this incredible product.
The Mueller wrist brace also boasts of superior material characteristics. The fabric is super breathable and is laced with an antimicrobial finish that keeps germs and odors away. Plus, the material is so durable that you can wear it every single day for as long as you want!
The wrist brace is reinforced with metallic inclusions that are used to stabilize the bottom of your wrist and also add suitable support. In addition, the wrist brace is very light so that your hands have a very natural feel to it.
One of the only “drawbacks” we could find was the Velcro, which some people won’t find so comfortable to use. However, the wrist brace comes in different sizes and you can choose the one that fits you the best. This wrist brace seriously delivers in all fronts. Mueller absolutely nails it with this gem of a product.
Features of the Mueller Green Fitted Wrist Brace:
- The Mueller wrist brace has a padded metal spoon for contoured support on the bottom side of the wrist.
- It has a metal supportive stay rigid support for the upper part of the wrist.
- It has adjustable straps with a hook and loop closure, which is designed to give you a custom fit with controlled compression.
- The wrist brace is made up of breathable material that ensures circulation of air through the hands and reduced perspiration. The material is basically non-petroleum based product core and is lined with 67% recycled PET bottles.
- The material of the wrist brace is finished with an antimicrobial finish that prevents odors.
- The wrist brace has a soft and durable green colored outer fabric.
Pros and cons:
- The Mueller wrist brace is extremely durable and requires minimal washing.
- The antimicrobial finish of the wrist brace prevents it from accumulating odors and becoming smelly.
- It is very easy to put on and has a simple provision to adjust the brace.
- This wrist brace is ideal for carpal tunnel syndrome.
- It fits wrists of all sizes.
- It is very rigid and not at all heavy.
- The green layer is very soft and is super comfortable to wear all day.
- The Velcro in the wrist brace can get uncomfortable.
- If you have big hands, you find some level of discomfort in doing stuff like typing.
ComfyBrace Night Wrist Sleep Support Brace
This wonderfully crafted wrist brace is ideal for being worn during sleep. It is built with very soft padding that envelope the stress areas of your hand and provides a very firm level of compression that is perfect for your hands while you enjoy your slumber. The tightness is adequate enough to give your wrist the correct amount of compression while also not being too tight and disturbing your sleep.
The wrist brace is stitched in a very fine and intricate way that makes sure your hands can ‘breathe’ and not be punished with sweat or odors. This is very much expected as the material of the wrist brace is porous. To top it all, this wrist brace has supple globules that form very natural support to your hands. These globules give you an additional layer of softness and support and hence better relief.
It is of no surprise that the ComfyBrace wrist brace is also recommended by doctors. Who wouldn’t like a product that not only aids in dealing with wrist pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, and sprains but also ensures that you sleep nicely? We are in awe.
It is also worth noting that the wrist brace can fit in either hand and you don’t have to specifically choose for the right or left hand. This is another wrist brace which rates very high among its users for its remarkable features and effectiveness. Pain can create serious disturbance and frustration for anyone who wants to have a good night’s sleep and this product ensures that you really do.
Features of the ComfyBrace Night Wrist Sleep Support Brace:
- The wrist brace has hook and loop fasteners that ensure a comfortable fir.
- The wrist brace is designed to fit into both hands.
- It has a slip on sleeve design to facilitate wear and removal.
- It is equipped with supple globules that provide extremely soft and relieving support to your hand.
- The material of the wrist brace is extremely porous and helps in air circulation and does not accumulate sweat.
- It has an adjustable Velcro closure.
- The wrist brace features thick thermal polyester lycra sleeves.
Pros and Cons:
- The wrist brace can be fitted on either hand without the need of purchasing separate ones for each hand.
- The globules are extremely soft and provide a very comfortable level of softness and relieving pressure to the hand.
- The slip-on sleeve design makes putting on and removing the wrist brace a very easy affair.
- There is good therapeutic heat retention due to the polyester lycra sleeves.
- It is widely recognized as a product that is recommended by doctors.
- It is very effective in dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis and sprains.
- The wrist brace may seem to be big for some people.
- The Velcro attachment may create a hassle. It does not last too long.
- The cushioning on the palm tends to displace after a few uses and this calls for some adjusting to do.
Wellgate PerfectFit Wrist Support for Women
As the name implies, this wrist brace is ideal for women suffering from pain or arthritis in the wrists. This wrist brace is designed specifically for people with thin arms (typically women) and is not made for muscular people. This inexpensive and uber comfortable wrist brace is made of memory foam and provides ample compression and support to your hands. It is also very good for people suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome and chronic wrist pain.
The Wellgate wrist brace has a rigid plastic splint to cater to the area under your wrist and has a flexible stabilizer for the top of the wrist. This unit can be set by using Velcro straps, which provide relieving compression to your hands. This wrist brace comes in light and can be used both during the day and the night. So you can work as well as sleep while having this wrist brace donned onto your hand. The product comes in separately for the left and right hands.
This low price wrist brace is highly renowned for being effective for dealing with carpal tunnel syndrome. Again, a very highly rated product which totally deserves the hype!
Features of the Wellgate PerfectFit Wrist Support:
- The wrist brace is designed for people with thin arms, particularly women.
- The sleek and slim design of the wrist brace makes sure that it fits perfectly well under women’s clothing.
- It provides relief from carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic wrist pain and sprains.
- The wrist brace is made up of soothing memory foam that provides comfort and helps in repeated usage of the product.
- It is light in weight and is made of breathable material.
- The wrist brace has a plastic splint that goes under your wrist and a flexible stabilizer for the top of the wrist.
- The product is incredibly inexpensive and comes in cheaper than most wrist braces while still boasting of high quality.
Pros and Cons:
- The wrist brace is very good for carpal tunnel syndrome.
- It can be used for both work and sleep.
- The wrist brace is light in weight and easy to handle.
- It can easily fit under women’s clothing.
- The memory foam is extremely soft and soothing, and it helps in repeated usage.
- This wrist brace is ideal for typing on the computer.
- The plastic support on the top of the wrist is not as firm as the one on the bottom of the wrist.
- It is not suitable for you if your hand is muscular.
- The wrist brace is light in color (cream) and that will make you conscious about stains during its usage.
- As with most Velcro straps, they starts giving away with usage and time.
Copper Compression Arthritis Gloves
While this product is not strictly a wrist brace per se, but it functions similarly and is equally applauded for its fantastic features to an extent wherein it is categorized under wrist supports and boy, is it amazing! This ultra cool and edgy looking pair gloves are basically… a pair of gloves, but it is remarkably effective against carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic wrist pain, swelling, sprain, you name it!
These fingerless gloves provide ample support and relieving compression to the hands and the wrist while giving you a complete range of motion. The biggest USP of these gloves is that they are infused with copper, which is believed to help in healing. These gloves do not score high on the durability chart but with proper use, they will last long enough to help you deal with the issues in your wrist.
The Copper Compression Arthritis Gloves offer a very firm level of compression which is known to be very effective. They come in four sizes ranging from S to XL, and it is to be noted that great care has to be taken in ordering for the right size as the wrong size may be too tight for your hands. The icing on the cake is that these wrist support gloves are very durable, beating out many of its peers. So you are going to have this for a pretty long time and going by how it looks, you can even make a style statement just by donning it!
Features of the Copper Compression Arthritis Gloves:
- The gloves are infused with copper, which is thought to promote healing and reduce pain. They utilize copper ions instead copper oxide, hence keeping a high concentration of copper within the gloves.
- The gloves are designed to help your hands retain their complete range of motion.
- It provides relief from carpal tunnel syndrome, chronic wrist pain, tendonitis and sprains.
- The gloves come in 4 sizes: S, M, L and XL.
Pros and Cons:
- The gloves are designed to give complete freedom of motion to your hands by not restricting their range of motion.
- They are basically fingerless gloves and you can wear them as a fashion accessory.
- They are remarkably light.
- They require very minimal washing.
- They help in keeping your joints, muscles and tendons arm all day.
- This wrist brace is ideal for doing any sort of work, as the range of motion is not restricted.
- The size of the gloves has to be chosen correctly or otherwise, the gloves may turn out to be too tight for your hands.
- Due to the presence of copper ions, the gloves may reek of a metallic copper smell.
- These gloves are not very durable.
BraceUP Adjustable Wrist Support
With the upsurge of software products around the world and the now very basic usage of computers all over, most people earn their living by typing into a computer. In fact there are many jobs where typing is a necessity and the functioning of the entire company cannot run without computers. It is worth noting here that typing is one of the primary reasons behind carpal tunnel syndrome. So, in situations where your wrist pain is curbing your daily living and you are finding it difficult to type, the BraceUP adjustable wrist support is the ideal wrist brace for you. Made with a simplistic design, this wrist support offers very good mobility and does not offer any restrictions, while making sure your wrist gets good relieving compression.
These wrist braces come in just one size and putting them on is as simple as chucking your thumb into the thumb loop and then wrapping the brace around your wrist. Your wrist feels relieving compression and stabilized. By wearing this wrist brace, you find it way easier to type and you can also participate in various physical activities which require the usage of your hands. The lack of restrictions to your hands is the biggest USP of this wrist brace.
The BraceUP wrist support also impresses in other areas. It is made up of neoprene blended materials that provide good support and soothing warmth. Plus, the fabric has an antimicrobial finish that keeps germs and odors away. This product really packs a punch and though you can do the same with your hands after wearing this, we wouldn’t suggest the same!
Features of the BraceUP Adjustable Wrist Support:
- The wrist brace comes in a single unit and has a thumb loop in which you put in your thumb and then wrap the brace around your wrist to your desired tightness.
- It is made up of neoprene blended materials.
- The fabric of the wrist brace is laced with an antimicrobial finish.
- The wrist brace comes in one size and fits both the left and the right hand.
Pros and Cons:
- This wrist brace is ideal for typing.
- It is very easy to put on and remove.
- Since the product comes in one size and can be put on either hand, there are no sizing or conforming hassles.
- It is very effective is keeping odors away.
- The wrist brace is light in weight and very easy to handle.
- The wrist brace works as a very good stabilizer for the hand.
- You get good durability from this wrist brace.
- The support characteristics of the wrist brace aren’t adequate enough when you bend your wrists.
- The thumb hole may be a bit large for some people.
Rip Toned Wrist Wraps
As the name of this wrist brace implies, the Rip Toned wrist wraps are tough and strong braces that help you undertake heavy duty stuff. This wrist brace is ideal for weightlifting and you can totally count on it as scores of professional power lifters have endorsed and vouched for the effectiveness of this product.
This wrist brace comes in stylish different colors and are uber comfortable. So you can be confident of looking super confident when you hit the gym for an intense workout! They boast of a therapeutic stiffness and tension combination that work together to eradicate the pain your wrist has been experiencing.
The wrist wraps come at a pretty convenient length and is made up of top quality elastic with the Velcro provisions being located on the top and bottom of the adjustable straps. The thumb loops are reinforced with strong fabric and is coupled with the classic hook and loop system in order to strengthen the overall performance of the wrists wraps in sync with your thumb.
Stiffness is the most important feature of this wrist wrap and you get product in two versions of stiffness: stuff and medium stiff. The stiff version offers excellent support on your wrist by making it a stiff unit and making lifting of weights an easier task. The medium stiff version offers you more flexibility in the movement of your wrist. Both versions offer a very comfortable and conforming feeling on your wrist. These wrist wraps are indeed ripped and toned to serve your wrists in the same manner!
Features of the Rip Toned Wrist Wraps:
- These 18 inch wrist wraps come in pairs and are designed for weightlifting and other such heavy duty operations.
- They come in two versions of stiffness: stiff and medium stiff. The former is designed for maximum stiffness while the latter gives you better flexibility.
- The thumb loop is reinforced and is coupled with the hook and loop system.
- The Velcro length is located on top and bottom of the wraps.
- The wrist wraps are made with quality stitching.
- They come in a wide array of stylish colours to choose from.
Pros and cons:
- The product has been endorsed by lots of prominent weightlifters and professionals.
- You get to choose from a multitude of colors.
- You can choose between the levels of stiffness with the two versions available.
- The thumb loop is a part of the external edging and this prevents the chances of its wear and tear.
- The product comes at a very affordable price.
- The thumb loop of the wraps can hinder your grip to a fair extent.
- The wraps are pretty thick and your wrists can get a lot sweaty after some time.
- If you have small hands, the stiffness offered by these wrist wraps may be a little too tight for you, regardless of the version you choose.
Dark Iron Fitness Leather Suede Wrist Wraps
The Dark Iron Fitness leather suede wrist wraps, as the name suggests, are constructed from high quality leather and as such, are made to last longer than most wrist wraps made from other materials. Despite being made from leather, they provide a very soft touch on the skin and are armed with reinforced stitching on the complete length of the wrap. This reinforced stitching prevents the wear and tear of the wrap and the presence of the suede gives you an extremely convenient non-slip grip through which you can lift weights up to more than 400 pounds of weight. It is of no wonder that this product comes with a lifetime replacement deal.
These wraps give a very firm and comfortably tight grip around your wrists and are designed to stay that way no matter how much weight you are trying to lift. They underside and the edges of the wrist wraps are made up of neoprene padding and extremely soft so that they do no dig in and hurt your skin.
This is one of the best and most admired wrist wraps that you can get for yourself. Wear them and you can literally rule the gym with an iron fist!
Features of the Dark Iron Fitness Suede Leather Wraps:
- The wrist wraps are made up of suede leather and are laced with neoprene padding on the underside and the edges.
- The wraps are backed with a strong reinforced stitching to support its working.
- They come in at a convenient length of 18 inches.
- They are designed to make you lift more than 400 pounds of weight.
- The straps can be tightened around any wrist size.
Pros and cons:
- These wrist wraps are one of the most durable wrist wraps ever.
- The length of the wrist wraps facilitates its usage.
- You can lift high magnitudes of loads with these wrist wraps.
- The material is designed to give you a very good grip.
- The padding is extremely soft and comfortable, and does not hurt your skin.
- The wrist wraps require some amount of maintenance as they are made up of leather.
- People with small hands may find the wrist wraps to be a bit too lengthy.
Stoic Wrist Wraps
The Stoic wrist wraps are one of the best wrist wraps that provide high quality material characteristics. They are made with top grade nylon and are backed with heavy duty elastic to give you a lot of support and stability while wearing them. They offer you the provision of tightening the wraps to provide a good magnitude of immobilization to your wrist while providing soothing relieving compression. The can also be loosened to give your wrist a greater freedom of movement. In both cases, your wrists get the right amount of mechanical support.
These wrist wraps are not too long and make the process of putting on and undoing them a very simple process. It is claimed that you can lift up to 25% more weight by employing the services of the Stoic wrist wraps. Truly fascinating!
The icing on the cake is that these wrist wraps are designed to cater to the specifications in professional competitions and are thereby competent enough to be used by professionals.
“Stoic” refers to the quality of being able to take on hardships and adversaries without any sort of complaints. Indeed, the Stoic wrist wraps totally justifies its namesake and are built on the exact same premise. This is seriously one of the premium wrist wraps that you can find.
Features of the Stoic Wrist Wraps:
- These wrist wraps are made up of high grade nylon materials that make the wrist wraps durable and imparts heavy duty characteristics.
- The true length of the wrist wraps does not count the hook and loop system like the other wrist wraps.
- These wrist wraps are armed with heavy duty elastic that give your wrist a supreme level of support to immobilize the wrist when required and at the same time, loosen up the wraps to allow better degree of freedom.
- Each wrap has a predetermined right and left designation for symmetrical wrapping.
- The stitches are done in a zigzag fashion to offer more stability and robustness.
- It has half inch thumb loop and top grade 2 inch hook and loop system.
- You can lift up to 25% more weight by wearing these wrist wraps.
Pros and cons:
- The nylon construction and the provision for elastic offer a great deal of support and stability to the wrist wraps.
- They are designed to meet the specifications governed by various competitions.
- The zigzag stitching offers you very good stability and prevents the tearing of the wrist wraps.
- The elastic can be tightened or loosened as per your feasibility to render a good amount of immobilization or flexibility to your wrists.
- The wraps may get a little too tight for some people.
- You might need to adjust the Velcro attachment frequently as it tends to give away.
Bear Grips II Band Wrist Wraps
The Bear Grips wrist wraps offer you the best thumb loop systems of all wrist wraps available out there. The thumb loop system is often a source of bother in many wrist wraps and the one by Bear Grips covers up for it with remarkable proficiency. These wrist wraps boast of an amazing thumb loop and is backed with an equally amazing Velcro attachment to fasten up the thumb loop. In addition, you get the dual elastic straps that give you a flexible hold.
You simply place your thumb into the thumb loop and then wound the wraps around the wrist to your desired level of tightness and fit. The thumb loops help in keeping your thumb positioned in a proper way and you can subsequently lift weights pretty easily. This is definitely one of the better wrist wraps available out there. You are going to enjoy using this (especially your thumb).
Features of the Bear Grips II Band Wrist Wraps:
- These wrist wraps come in a wide range of colors to choose from, each sporting different combinations of colors.
- They are designed to give your wrists a good degree of protection during weightlifting.
- The wrist wraps have a premium thumb loop that is backed by a strong Velcro attachment.
- They have dual elastics which help in giving you a very flexible hold.
Pros and cons:
- This product gives you the best thumb loop system of any wrist wraps.
- Your wrists are well protected during heavy duty operations.
- You can pick from a good range of combinations of colors.
- They offer a very good degree of flexibility to your wrists.
- The wrist wraps are pretty wide.
- The stitching on the Velcro seems to wear off.
- The material can cause a little bit of irritation to your skin.
WOD Wear Wrist Wraps
The WOD Wear wrist wraps ditch the thumb loop system and provide your wrists with a very free form of support. Made from double-layered cotton, the wrist wraps can be adjusted very easily and this is achieved by simply tightening or loosening the wraps.
These wrist wraps are arguably the best for yoga and even yoga practitioners have recognized this statement by deeming it as a yoga-approved wrist wrap. You can perform the adjusting actions even between your yoga positions, without changing your orientation!
You even get a good support of your body weight by wearing these wrist wraps. No wonder that you can embrace the yogi in you by using this product. It seems quite logical that you are provided with an amazing level of flexibility as well. They are extremely light in weight and more often than not, you would go on to forget that you are wearing these wrist wraps. Isn’t that what yoga is all about? Furthermore, the WOD Wear wrist wraps are suitable for multiple sports! You can truly achieve limitless stuff with WOD Wear.
Features of the WOD Wear Wrist Wraps:
- The wrist wraps are double-layered and are made up of high grade cotton.
- They are backed up with strong reinforced stitching.
- The product comes in pairs and is unisex in nature.
- These wrist wraps can be simply adjusted by making the wrists tight or loose during the course of its usage. This is done with a simple twist.
- You get to choose from a variety of catchy colors.
Pros and cons:
- Adjusting the wraps of these wrist wraps is remarkably easy.
- You can adjust the wraps in between the course of your activity without changing your position by a simple twist.
- The product comes in a very attractive range of colors and patterns to choose from.
- They are easily washable and require minimal maintenance.
- They are the best wrist wraps for yoga and sports.
- These wrist wraps are not as durable as their heavy duty counterparts.
- They can be a bit difficult to put on.
An overview of wrist arthritis
The wrist joints are laced with a smooth cartilage surface and when these cartilaginous areas start getting worn out or eroded, they expose the bony surfaces lying dormant within the cartilage. These uneven surfaces of bone start rubbing against each other and cause excruciating pain in your wrists. There is swelling and stiffness in these painful wrists and you would find it extremely difficult to move your wrists around or grip anything. The resulting condition is wrist arthritis, and it affects people irrespective of age although the chances of having it are directly proportional to your age.
The ill-effects of wrist arthritis are not limited to the joints alone. Wrist arthritis may also affect the nerves located in the wrist joint. This results in numbness and a feel of tingling in your wrists, and this condition is termed as carpal tunnel syndrome. Your wrists would then fail to move around or lift anything.
Wrist arthritis may be caused by wrist injuries such as a fracture wherein the affects of the injury may extend up to the cartilaginous surface of the wrist
An injury to the ligaments (the soft fibrous tissue that connects bones to each other and the bones to cartilage) may also result in the arthritis of the wrist.
One of the most sever cause of arthritis in the wrist is Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). It affects the entire body and when it extends to the wrists, it leads to literally the entire damage of the bones and the cartilage, and a severe bout of wrist arthritis.
If you move your fingers around your wrist, you will feel many small and intricate bones and joints that connect your hand to your forearm. Indeed, your wrist is among the most complex joints in your body and the small bones take up some really significant loads. Going by just how much you put your wrist to work, it goes without saying that they deserve lots of care and attention from you. It is overwhelming when you realize the fact that even when you are in a stationary, neutral position and your hands are just dangling in the air, your wrists are still helping hold your hand against the natural gravitational pull. So your wrist is working even when you are technically doing nothing! The wrist helps in: (1) Moving the hand in all directions, (2) Transferring forces from the hand to the arm and vice versa, (3) Strengthening the arm, and (4) Providing flexibility.
It would be technically incorrect to call the wrist a single joint, as the wrist contains a multitude of joints per se. These joints function together to form the wrist joint and help in moving the hand around.
When you are affected by wrist arthritis, it is pretty natural for you to immediately adopt measures to curb the effects of this condition. Apart from medications and limiting the activities you do with your hands, one of the most effective means to deal with wrist pain is the usage of wrist braces.
These wrist braces boast of being well-crafted and can be reliably employed to tackle carpal tunnel syndrome and wrist arthritis. They offer an amazing magnitude of relieving compression and with so many to choose from, you can pick the one which you feel suits your lifestyle the best.
The Mueller Green Fitted Wrist Brace is strongly backed by athletes, medical practitioners and doctors alike and this is quite understandable going by just how effective the product is. The other wrist braces are special in their own way and cater to a variety of applications but the Mueller variant performs the best overall. However, the applications of each wrist brace vary and it’s all up to you to pick the most suitable one for yourself.